st_aloy_statue

Saint Aloysius History

St. Aloysius School, New Canaan’s first parochial school, opened its doors on September 10, 1956 to approximately 160 boys and girls. Starting in 1957, grades 1-4 grew one grade per year as the oldest class moved up. In June 1961, it graduated its first eighth grade – 40 young men and women- into high school. A Bridgeport Diocesan school, St. Aloysius continues as a kindergarten through eighth grade co-educational school. It draws its student population from fifteen zip codes.

Since its inception, the school has maintained its high level of achievement. The faculty, staff, parents, and students embrace the mission statement of being “a community permeated by Catholic teachings and values, where academic excellence is promoted through spiritual, intellectual, physical and emotional development of each
student”. As a result, students at the St. Aloysius School participate in a rigorous curriculum that is supported by a mission-centered culture and nurtured by a school community of dedicated parents.

1731

New Canaan Parish is established by the colonial legislature as a congressional church district.

1801

New Canaan is incorporated as a town.

1850

The first Catholics settle in New Canaan.

1855

Rev. Hugh O’Reilly of St. Mary’s, Norwalk, celebrates the first mass in New Canaan.

1862

The First Catholic Church is built in New Canaan, on Forest Street.

1896

On June1st, the New Canaan Mission is separated from St. Mary’s Parish; Rev. John T. McMahon is appointed as the first pastor of the new St. Aloysius Parish. Maurice Corrigan, son of Joseph and Rose Corrigan, is the first child baptized in the parish.

1907

Property is acquired on the corner of South Avenue and Maple Street.

1917

On July 15, the New South Avenue Church is dedicated.

1929

Rev. William J. Fox becomes pastor, serving for 33 years, the longest term of service at St. Aloysius.

1945

A convent for the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur is established on Cherry Street.

1956

A parochial school is built on the school grounds.

1967

Dedication of Cherry Street Church on November 26th.

1985

On April 21, the old Church becomes the rectory and parish center.

1995

On December 8th, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, St. Aloysius Church is renovated and rededicated by Bishop Edward M. Egan

2005

New Master Plan was finalized calling for a relocation of the rectory, a complete renovation of the Parish Center, Stapleton Hall and an upgrade to the Tudor House. This began a campaign entitled “Foundations for the Future” with a goal of five million dollars begins.

2007

After a successful fundraising campaign with pledges in excess of 5.4 million dollars, the new rectory building at 39-41 Maple Street is purchased.  Priests take residence and building renovation of the Parish Center under the vision of architect Peter Gisolfi Associates which began in September.

2009

The new Parish Center and Stapleton Social Hall is unveiled on the weekend of June 13th – 14th with a sneak peak of the building after the Parish Feast and a Sunday afternoon celebration after the procession and benediction on the Feast of Corpus Christi.  The renovation brought the building into total ADA compliance with the addition of an elevator to access all floors.  The priest’s offices and the business operations of the Parish move to the second floor and Religious Education and Youth Ministry moves over from the Tudor House to the main floor.  Three conference rooms are added to the building and Stapleton Social Hall is expanded to twice its original size.  The façade of the building is also restored to its original integrity.  A shrine presenting our Patron Saint Aloysius is placed in front of the restored building facing South Avenue.

The Tudor House is re-named the Maguire House and is re-configured to hold the Parish Youth Room as well as additional classrooms for St. Aloysius School.

2010

A statue of Our Lady is donated to the Parish and the shrine is dedicated on the Feast of the Assumption.0

2016

St. Aloysius School begins its 60th anniversary celebration.